A Greek’s Favorite Food

Greek Food is a lot different from all ideal food that people think about. Greek cultural is very distinct though nevertheless is still amazing. This are some of there main traditional dishes:

Baklava is the most famous Greek pastry. It is created from layers of flaky phyllo dough (available in dozens of different varieties, from butter glazed to sprinkled with nuts). Ground walnuts, pistachios or pecans are mixed with lots of honey or sugar syrup. The phyllo is built up in layers, with rivers of crushed nuts and honey oozing out the sides.

Moussaka is a famous Greek casserole with layers of vegetables, a meat sauce and custard. Eggplant and zucchini are popular choices for the vegetables, layered with garlic and meat sauce, spices and sometimes nuts, and then topped with custard.

Souvlaki, also called gyros, is famous all over the world. These come in a wide variety of styles and shapes, with lots of different ingredients. A pita is filled with beef, lamb or pork (sometimes chicken). Tomato, lettuce, red onions, olives, sprouts and other vegetables are placed on top of the meat. A tzatziki sauce (made with yogurt, cucumber and garlic) is drizzled over the souvlaki to top it off.

Christidis, George. Photograph. George Christidis’. Culinary Adventures. n.d. 4 Nov 2015
Roberts, Alison. Photograph. Taste. Newslife Media. Sept 2007. 4 Nov 2015
Renique, Ankie. Photograph. Ankie Renique’s Blog. WordPress. 13 Aug 2014. 4 Nov 2015

3 thoughts on “A Greek’s Favorite Food

1. Hi dear Jordan : )

It’s great post about your favorite food and it shows you have noticed the challenge program. I have seen Baklava in Istanbul and Iran too and thats very delicious.
    Actually foods are a part of countries culture and by knowing more about different foods we could connect with other nationalities. I will collect them and try to cook in my holidays : )

You are welcome to Edublogs’ Student Challenge and I will be your Mentor in this 10 weeks challenge. (you could find more about Mentor in this post https://tecpo.edublogs.org/2013/05/01/1103/ )

As you know we have a different topic and program each week and you could find them in http://www.studentchallenge.edublogs.org.
    I hope following these programs your blog be one of the best in final week.
    If there is any question about blogging or challenge you could leave a comment on your blog and I’ll find that.
    GOOD LUCK
    Astaneh

2. Wow. I really enjoyed reading your post on Greek food. It seems very interesting and tasty. I’m surprised about how Baklava is prepared and served, It looks like something I wouldn’t mind trying!

3. Dear Jordan
    Week 7 in challenge has come with a new topic.
    I,m sure you are interested in nature and your country has special nature to show your blog’s visitors.
    Please write a post about this new program and explain us your point of view about nature.
    You could find more at http://www.studentchallenge.edublogs.org
    GOOD LUCK

Astaneh